Monday, October 19, 2009

Witching Hour

Somewhere after I've slept,
Somewhere before it's light.
They are coming to get me.

Night after night,
Everyone I know.
I could run,
If that's what I want.
I could think-
that it's only clothes.
Washed and soiled
But well-
It's everyone I know.

They say,
Don't be afraid.
They say,
It's only us.
They say,
Have a drink of water.
Listen to music.
Scratchy and calming.
And then,
When you are okay-
We'll come get you.

Socks. And sweatshirts.
Undiluted worry.
Navy blue blankets.
You think it works.
It's not a matter of how,
It's a matter of when.

On a washing line,
In open fields of rye,
Life-less and determined,
Dead and alive.
Night after night,
They seek their revenge.
Best served cold.

Somewhere after I've slept,
Somewhere before it's light.
The night is young,
They will find me.
It's not the monsters in my head.
It's Everyone I Know.

No comments: