We sit on Kooki's terrace. Six of us, I think. I can't tell for sure, it's pretty dark. There's a rustle and glass breaking. Someone curses. The pungent smell of alcohol hits me. I am leaning against the wall. Somewhere to my right, a phone rings. And Deep's face is illuminated momentarily with cellphone light. He slurs slightly, and rubs his forehead. It is his mother,evidently. Evidently, he is also lying to her. I look up.At a distance, the sky is lit up with fireworks. Someone is getting married. Or a cricket match is won. I think it's the marriage. I stand up, and my ears buzz a little. I walk cautiously to the other side, trying not to step on to feet and cans and broken glass. My phone rings. It flashes A's name. I cut it, and try not to think of her. I don't think I need this right now. I hear my name being called. I turn- I am being offered a plastic glass. I am not sure what it holds. I sip, it's a strange concoction- probably Kooki's idea. A seasoned drinker- he likes his drinks to be full of surprises. I down it, and stare hard- trying to digest the potent liquid. Kooki laughs- through the darkness even, he can see my raised eyebrows. Or maybe he is plain high. I walk to the edge, and lean against the rail.I look 7 floors down. It's pitch dark. I hear some one cussing. A generous exchange of four lettered words, in several languages occurs. My phone rings- it's her again. I pick it up. Her voice is deadpan. The truth potion from the plastic glass hits my head- very slowly. I am leaning over the railing. There's silence again. She is asking me something.I pay no attention.
"I cheated on you" I say.
And while, supposedly, her nonchalant world tears apart, or so I believe-
I lean even further and throw up into the darkness.
And far away, the sky is lit up with yet another marriage celebrating electric green firework.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment